Tuesday 7 November 2017

Are you a highly sensitive individual?


Do you want to learn how to make this gift your superpower?

Rather than it becoming your destruction?

So I just got home from a run all elated. I had had an epiphany. While eating my lunch I read a very interesting article about “Highly Sensitive People” (HSP). During my run a light-bulb just turned on in my head. I am one of these people and so are all of my close friends. In fact that’s why I attract these types of friends, because we all have this one thing in common. We are all HSP. It really explained a lot to me about why I am surrounded by people who are so sensitive and act in a certain way.  I have these friends because we all GET each other. I often have wondered why people decide to offload all their worries and concerns on to me and now I get it. I always thought it was just because I am a very empathetic person but empathy is only one aspect of being a HSP, which all these people have been. They all knew I would understand and not judge.

Now if you can relate to this story I am about to share you may be a HSP too. I just got home from my run full of enthusiasm and excitement after my epiphany of why I am the way I am and why I attract the people I do and my purpose and ability to help others just like me. I sat down at the computer ready to get to work when my husband called. I began excitedly telling him about my thoughts when he was quick to shut me down (well this is how I felt anyway). My husband for anyone who knows him is a very witty person. He likes to make jokes in most (and very often inappropriate) circumstances. This is one of the things I love most about him as he can always make me laugh. However, this one time when I was sharing something meaningful to me I did not appreciate his joking remark. Suddenly all my excitement drained away and was replaced by disappointment. Disappointment that the person I seek approval from the most was not as excited as I was about my ideas. Now don’t get me wrong my husband is the most kind, generous person but not being a HSP like me he sometimes doesn’t realise the impact his comments have on my mood. I take everything to heart and can’t always differentiate between when he is joking and when he is being serious. And when I get hurt (which can happen quite easily) it takes a long time for this to shift, I cannot go just as quickly back to feeling elated. So it was actually quite ironic that while I had an epiphany that I am a HSP, I created this real live example for myself to share. Luckily for myself I have throughout my life been learning how to deal with this gift, even before I knew I had it. But when it comes to someone as close to me as my husband I find I still can get upset more easily than I do in relation to others.

I have seen sensitivity be the downfall of too many of my close friends. Stopping them from moving forward in the world, creating new relationships, connecting with people in their workplace and resulting in anxiety and depression. This can often occur when feelings are so strong and are not being dealt with in the most productive way possible.

But there are so many positive aspects to being a HSP and if used in the right way this sensitivity can actually become your super power! Channelling this super power can make you more successful and happier in this world than you have ever imagined.

Using your emotions for good and as a tool for success:
·      In your career: Choosing a helping career when having a strong sense of empathy and understanding is a trait that will help you succeed. Forming more meaningful connections with co-workers or clients.
·      Getting involved in a charity or having the drive to make a difference in this world.
·      Relationships: It helps you really understand how others feel, form more deep connections with others and allows you to know how to treat others.
·      Noticing beauty in the world. I don’t know about you but I feel like I definitely notice the beauty and wonder in the world more than most. When you are sensitive you not only feel more when it comes to humans but also animals and the environment and get touched by things on a deeper level.
·      Feeling positive emotions more strongly. One great thing about being sensitive is that you get to experience positive emotions such as love on a deeper level.
·       
A few ways to increase you experience of positive emotions and connectedness to yourself:
·      Music
·      Nature especially water
·       Exercise
·      Looking after your body with correct nutrition
·      Herbal remedies and flower essences
·      Mindfulness
·      Positive connections with others
·      Creative expression through art; music; writing; singing.

Ways to not let negative emotions overpower the positive:
·      Accept your negative feelings and don’t try and deny their existence
·      Allow them to be expressed though a positive medium such as writing
·      Cry once in a while to release
·      Talk to someone about your feelings (a professional if need be)
·      Practice meditation and relaxation techniques
·      Let others know how their actions make you feel eg. I had a conversation to my husband about the way his comment made me feel and what he can do (think before speaking) to help me not feel this way.
·      Rather than suppressing emotions accept them and let them pass, if you feel stuck then do one of the strategies that help increase positive emotions.

Since writing this article I have been doing a lot of emotional clearing and felt it important to express that being strong and confident within yourself is possible even while still maintaining your sensitivity. This will enable you to not be as affected by others as I was in the story written above. I have found that neuro-emotional technique (NET) and kinesiology have helped me clear some of my subconscious beliefs about not being good enough so that I not longer respond in such an emotional way. Along with that it is an everyday practice to stay connected to my core and be able to express my truth. Using this gift as a superpower is so powerful but it does require daily attention using the tools mentioned above.

No go be the magnificent sensitive souls you are and let it help you change the world! Because I don’t know about you but I believe the world definitely needs a bit more empathy, love and sensitivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment